In this article
We've replaced the Salary tab within your employee's profiles with a more intuitive and comprehensive Compensation tab. The latest features of this tab enable you to manage your employee’s rates, salary, working pattern, pay schedule and more. You can now also add part-time, zero-hour and workers with flexible working patterns to Pento.
This guide will take you through the new tab step by step so that you can become familiar with its features.
1. Go to Employees > find the employee > Compensation. You will see the below if the employee does not have a pay schedule yet.
2. Choose a Pay schedule, then Save and close.
3. You will then be able to see the complete Compensation tab. Let's start with setting a salary by selecting Add salary or base rate:
4. Select Add salary:
When you add the annual salary, Pento will calculate the monthly and weekly equivalent, along with a payslip preview for the adjustments if the salary starting date is part-way through the respective payroll. You can also add only the weekly or monthly salary, and Pento will calculate the annual equivalent.
💡Hibob users: Pento does not support a daily pay period. If you use the daily pay period option in Hibob, you will need to set it to hourly, weekly or annual.
5. After you save and continue, you can add a new work pattern or keep the current work pattern the employee is on (this can also be edited later). If you select Yes, Pento will ask you to choose the working days to include in the new work pattern.
6. When you're happy with these settings, you can Save and continue. This will save the new salary and return you to the Compensation tab.
Please note – The hours per week will now be calculated within the work pattern rather than on the salary details.
Adding Base Rate
1. Go to Employees > find the employee > Compensation. After choosing a Pay schedule, you can set the base rate for the employee by selecting Add base rate:
2. When a Base Rate is enabled, you'll be able to submit how many hours the employee worked in the tab Worked Hours.
3. Select Edit, and you'll be able to input the worked hours on the following screen:
💡 It's also possible to import the hours worked by going to Payrolls > selecting the payroll > Actions > Import base work hours. When reporting hours, the work pattern set for the employee is respected; however, it's possible to overwrite the work pattern if the employee has worked on a day that the work pattern designates as a non-working day.
Under Settings > Pay schedules, you can select a deadline for submitting the hours worked under a pay period. This deadline can be set before the payroll period ends.
Please note – At present, Pento does not integrate Base Rates from HRIS. However, we are actively working to include this feature in future updates.
Adding Additional Rates
1. To add a company rate to an employee's profile, first, go to Settings > Rates and create a new rate.
2. You can set a name to identify the rate, the type of rate (hourly, multiplier or rate per unit) and define the amount.
3. After you Save and close, you can see and edit the rates you have created from Settings.
Please note – Multiplier rates (overtime) can only be added directly to the employee's payslip, as they vary from period to period.
4. Going back to your employee's profile, you can Add rate:
5. You can select an existing company rate or add a custom rate – which can be helpful when it's a rate specific to a particular employee.
6. After selecting the type of rate, you can then choose to default hours per payroll.
7. When you're happy with these settings, you can Save and close.
Change to default hours on rates
We have changed how default hours and default units work on rates.
Previously, changing the default hours or units on a rate for an employee (either
on Pento or through an HR integration) would overwrite the hours or units on
their current active payslip. This could result in errors when importing the
actual worked hours on the payroll since a change in the employee or the HR system would overwrite them.
Please note – The default hours or units only apply to newly created payslips (i.e. next payroll onwards).
Adding Work patterns
From Settings (Company wide)
You can add multiple work patterns for your company to apply to different employee profiles. We have a default work pattern set as Monday to Friday, and, at the moment, there is no way to delete the default work pattern or select a different work pattern to be the default one.
1. Go to Settings > Work patterns > Create work pattern.
2. Choose a work pattern name, schedule preference, and the days and hours for the week. You can also add weeks.
2. Save and close.
💡 If a work pattern has already been used, you can archive it, so it will no longer be selectable for employees in their profile.
From your employee's profile
If you don't need to change your employee's salary but want to change their work pattern, you can do so directly from the Work Pattern section in Compensation.
1. Select Add work pattern.
2. Select and add the new work pattern.
3. If the new pattern has a start date in the future, the status will show as Upcoming.
Please note – When you change an employee's working pattern, please note that Pento does not revise the salary. If you wish to increase or reduce the salary based on the new working patterns, you should update them directly in their annual salary.
Bulk Uploading Work Patterns
You also have the ability to bulk upload existing company-wide work patterns and apply them to your employees' profiles.
1. Go to Employees > Import/Export > Import work patterns.
2. Upload a file containing the necessary information or add it to the prompt on the screen.
3. Click on Continue > Submit. The work patterns should now be applied to your employees' profiles.
Making changes to Compensation
You can edit or delete any salary, rate and work pattern by clicking on the three dots and selecting one of the options.