In this article
With Pento you can automatically receive Tax Code and Student Loan updates from HMRC. All you need to do is enable this in your HMRC account.
Enabling notifications in your HMRC account
- Log into your HMRC account
- Scroll down to PAYE for employers and select View tax codes or notices and set up alerts
- Under Notices preferences, select Change how you get tax code and student loan notices
- Here you can see the notices that need to be enabled:
- For each of the drop down menus change the selection to Yes.
- Select Next, then Submit.
- The changes may take up to 24 hours to take effect.
Please note - Enabling Student Loan start and stop notices covers both Student (SL1 and SL2) and Postgraduate Loans (PGL1 & PGL2)
Now that you have enabled HMRC updates you no longer have to manually update your employees' tax code and student repayments!
Frequently Asked Questions
Why hasn't my employees' National Insurance Number (NINO) updated?
Unfortunately, we don’t receive automatic updates for NINOs from HMRC, so you will need to manually monitor and update them in Pento. If you have an HRIS integration, you will need to update the NINO there and it will sync to Pento.
What should I do if I'm not receiving updates?
There are a few different reasons why updates may not be arriving:
- Your Government Gateway isn't set up correctly, so it's always worth double-checking that by repeating the steps above
- If you've recently moved to Pento, it could mean the updates were sent to your prior payroll provider so we'd recommend speaking to them to confirm the updates were not received
- A mismatch in NI number meaning we've been unable to identify and link the change to an employee