In this article
What is a pay schedule?
Pento recognises that our customers have varying needs when it comes to payroll. If you operate multiple pay frequencies (i.e. Monthly, Fortnightly or Weekly), then you can add multiple schedules to your Pento account. You can also add various schedules for the same frequency, i.e. if you have two monthly schedules with different paydays and settings.
Please note – Different pay schedules for the same pay frequency must only be used with different pay dates. Multiple pay schedules for the same pay date and pay frequency are not currently supported.
Adding, viewing and editing pay schedules in Pento
To add, view and edit your pay schedule settings, you will need to follow the steps below:
- Navigate to Settings from the left sidebar.
- Select Pay schedules.
- To add a new schedule, select + New schedule.
- Once selected, you will need to choose the pay frequency from the dropdown options.
- Once you have selected the frequency, you will see a screen similar to the one below.
- Add the Schedule name (i.e. Monthly payroll), the Payday, the Day rate method, and the standard Hours per week.
- Select Save & close.
- To view or edit a schedule, you can select the schedule you'd like to view or amend.
- Once you have made any relevant changes, select Save & close.
Day rate method
If you select Calendar month, any pay that needs to be pro-rated will be calculated using the working days in the calendar month, i.e. the employee's monthly salary will be divided by the working days in the respective month, then multiplied by the number of working days payment is applicable.
Yearly working days
If you select Yearly working days, any pay that needs to be pro-rated will be calculated using the yearly working days defined in Pento (Pento defaults to 260 days. However, you can set this following your business needs), i.e. the employee's annual salary will be divided by the yearly working days, then multiplied by the number of working days payment is applicable in the respective month.
Hours per week
You will need to enter the standard working hours for the schedule; if you have employees that work alternative hours, you can amend these on the employee's profile:
- Navigate to Employees from the left sidebar.
- Search for the relevant employee.
- Select the Salary tab.
- Set a new salary or select the Active salary as appropriate.
- Update the hours per week.
Adding pay schedules to an employee
Once you have added a new starter to Pento, you will need to follow the steps below:
- Select Employees from the left sidebar.
- Search for the relevant employee.
- Select the Salary tab; you will see a screen similar to the one below.
- Select Pay schedule.
- Select the relevant schedule from the dropdown options.
- Select Select schedule
Please note - If you need further guidance on adding a new employee, please refer to our help article How to add a new starter to Pento
If you need to change the pay schedule for an existing employee, you'll need to contact our support team, who can do this for you.
Frequently asked questions
Can I amend automated pro-rata calculations?
As Pento is designed to automate calculations for you, it is not possible to amend an automatic pro-rated calculation. If you use the Yearly working days method, in shorter months, you may deduct days not worked rather than pay the days worked. Pento can only calculate the days worked; therefore, you will need to add a manual gross addition in cases where you would like to pay more.
Likewise, in longer months, the Yearly working days method may result in a calculation higher than an employee's ordinary monthly salary. You will need to add a manual gross deduction to adjust for the difference.