In this article
Bulk update tax codes
If you haven't set up automatic HMRC updates, and need to update multiple tax codes, you can import them using a csv, tsv or txt file. You will need to follow the steps below:
- Navigate to Employees from the left sidebar
- To the right of Add employee, select the box with '...'
- The following options will appear:
- Select Bulk update tax codes, you will see a screen similar to the below:
You can upload your pre-populated file or you can manually enter the data in the columns shown in the screenshot above.
Please note - In order for Pento to match the data to employees, the Employee ID is a mandatory column for both the manual and file upload
Uploading data from a file
If you choose to upload the data from a pre-populated file, you will need to follow the steps below:
- Select Upload data from file
- Once uploaded, you will see a screen similar to the below:
- Select Yes if your file contains headers
- Choose Select another row if your file contains headers but it is a different row to the row indicated with the arrow
- Select No header row if your file does not contain headers
- Once confirmed, Pento will automatically try to match the column headings
- If you have any columns that Pento was unable to match automatically, you can choose the correct column from the Lookup matching fields dropdown
- Once you have confirmed the mapping for each column, select Review
- Once you have reviewed the data, select Continue
- You will be asked if you are ready to submit, select Yes
For guidance on setting up automatic HMRC updates, please refer to our help article How to set up automatic HMRC updates
Frequently asked questions
What columns do I need if I am uploading a pre-populated file?
You can find the headings you need in the manual data section. If you choose to use your own headings, Pento will automatically try to match your headings to the data so it is advisable to use similar or easily identifiable headings.
What format should I use for dates/units/currency etc?
For columns that require specific formatting, you can refer to the manual data section; if you hover on the information icon (i) in the column headings, you will see a list of accepted values.