In this article
As part of your ongoing duties, approximately every three years, you’ll need to put certain staff back into your pension scheme if they have left it, and if they meet the criteria to be auto-enrolled into a pension scheme. This is known as re-enrolment. The Pensions Regulator will write to you in advance of your re-enrolment date to explain more.
You will need to:
- Assess staff that previously left the pension scheme and re-enrol them where they meet the criteria
- Write to your staff to explain how re-enrolment applies to them
- Submit your declaration of compliance irrespective of if you have had to re-enrol any staff
For further guidance on Re-enrolment, please refer to The Pensions Regulator's guidance:
Re-enrolment in Pento
Adding your re-enrolment dates in Pento
For Pento to assist with re-enrolment, you will need to add your Duties start date, as well as any subsequent re-enrolment dates to your company pension settings in Pento. To do this, you will need to follow the steps below:
- Navigate to Settings
- Under the Company heading, select Pensions
- Select Add re-enrolment date
Once you have added the dates, Pento will let you know:
- If and when your re-enrolment is due, based on the dates provided
- If your re-enrolment is overdue, based on the dates provided
- Your next period of re-enrolment, based on the dates provided
If you have not received communication from The Pension Regulator regarding re-enrolment duties, you can find your re-enrolment date using the link below:
Re-declaration of Compliance in Pento
Whilst Pento will not submit your Re-declaration of Compliance for you, we will help you stay on top of when it is due.
When adding your re-enrolment dates to your pension settings, you will have the option of marking each re-enrolment as submitted. When a re-enrolment date is added to Pento but is not marked as submitted, we will tell you your declaration deadline.
Pento will also let you know once the due date has passed if you have not marked it as complete.
To help you stay compliant, Pento will notify you of this on the Overview page:
Please note - Your Declaration of Compliance must be completed, even if you do not have any staff to re-enrol
Assessing staff for re-enrolment
Pento provides a re-enrolment report, accessible from your Pension settings, that will include all staff who have previously left the pension scheme, as well as employees who have reduced their contributions to below the minimum.
As you do not have to re-enrol employees that have left a scheme within 12 months of your re-enrolment date, Pento only assesses employees with a leave date more than 12 months prior.
When your re-enrolment is due, you can use this report to see who is being assessed and who should be re-enrolled. An example re-enrolment report is attached to this article.
Eligible employees for re-enrolment
You only need to re-enrol and write to employees who have been assessed as eligible. To view the eligible employees, you will need to follow the steps below:
- Navigate to Settings from the left sidebar
- Under the Company heading, select Pensions
- Select Download re-enrolment report
Please note - As eligibility is determined by age and earnings, this report will only be accurate on your re-enrolment date
Re-enrolling eligible employees
To re-enrol eligible employees, you will need to change the pension status on their employee profile. You will need to follow the steps below:
- Navigate to Employees from the left sidebar
- Search for the relevant employee
- Select the Pension tab
- Select Change status
- Select Enrol as new employee
Alternatively, you can import the data. For guidance on how to bulk import, please refer to our help article Bulk update pensions.
The enrolment date will automatically default to today's date, to get the correct enrolment date, you will need to refer to the re-enrolment report. Colum R (Eligibility date) should be used as the enrolment date
Writing to staff
Unlike your initial duties, you only have to write to eligible employees. For guidance on writing to staff and where to locate the letters, please refer to our help article Auto-enrolment guide for pensions in Pento.
You can’t use postponement at re-enrolment. You can only postpone automatic enrolment from:
- your duties start date or staging date
- a staff member’s first day of employment
- the date a staff member first becomes eligible for automatic enrolment (turns 22 and earns over £192 per week (£833 per month)